Careers start here! Job Corps is the nation’s largest education and training program for eligible students administered by the Department of Labor.
Job Corps and Indian Hills Community College have partnered together to offer Life.Transforming. education and training experience to our community. Students ages 16 to 24 years may be eligible to enroll in the Job Corps program. Job Corps is a free education and training program that helps young people gain technical skills, earn certifications, and find employment in their field of study so they can enjoy a satisfying career. For eligible young people, Job Corps teaches the skills needed to lead a successful, independent life. This program assists with the cost of the student's education while he or she is enrolled and successfully completing one of the many college programs Job Corps sponsors through Indian Hills Community College.
Potential participants for the Job Corps Program are students that:
- Seeking credential(s) in a Job Corps sponsored career-oriented field (credit or non-credit: certificate, diploma, or degree).
and the following:
- Unemployed, underemployed, or a dislocated worker
- Pell Grant Eligible, or have tuition assistance through a grant/scholarship
- Have the ability to complete an eligible certificate program
- Have the ability to enter a postsecondary certificate, diploma, or for-credit degree program
- Have the commitment to complete their education
- Have the ability to sign in daily with Job Corps staff members at IHCC
- Have the ability to turn attendance in weekly
- Have the ability to gain full-time employment
- Have the ability to maintain full-time employment over time
Once students are enrolled in Job Corps, they are assigned to a career counselor, and will have the supports of three Job Corps staff on site at Indian Hills. These individuals will assist the students with any needs they may have, by connecting them to resources on our campuses, as well as in our communities.
The Job Corps program funding available for students will provide assistance with, basic healthcare needs, career needs (work uniforms, interview clothing, professional licensure, etc.), and educational needs (tuition, books, fees, tools, etc.). Job Corps students will discuss needs with a Job Corps staff member; referrals will be made to best serve the student. Job Corps and Indian Hills have a life transforming partnership with a vision to prepare students with the necessary skills to establish real careers and continue their education. Participants will become proficient in our career success standards, stress management, interviewing, independent living, and in other life skill areas. Students will have a Personal Career Development Plan tailored to fit their educational needs and goals, these goals will be evaluated every 60 days.
Accountability is vital to maintaining employment. This is one of the most important aspects of sponsorship. Students will sign in with a Job Corps staff member at the college every day before their first class and will turn in attendance weekly. This allows us to connect with each student and ensure they are receiving all of their training. Attendance is mandatory. 3 consecutive unexcused absences will automatically withdraw your sponsorship. 5 unexcused absences in 6 months will automatically withdraw your sponsorship. We want you to be successful, and consistent attendance and accountability will improve your chance for success.
We all have a story. We are all unique. We all have different circumstances. We all have a dream. Share your story and dreams with us so we can help you along your Life. Transforming. journey.
If you are still needing a high school diploma, a driver’s license, or need to complete a program we sponsor, let us know your goals and we will make a plan together to achieve them.
A successful college experience is truly Life. Transforming. We are here to help you achieve your certificate, diploma or degree and obtain full time employment by the time you graduate. Our goal is your success.
- Financial Assistance
- Tuition-Free Education
- Assistance with books, uniforms, supplies/tools, and testing fees
- $400 towards a meal plan at IHCC
- Medical insurance assistance
- Personalized and consistent educational support
- Academic advising and registration each term
- Bi-Weekly check
- $500 upon completion of program
- Career transition assistance for one year after graduation
Job Corps partners frequently with WIOA, RISE, PACE/GAP and many other programs at the college. To find out more please contact us.
Andrea Edge, Job Corps Coordinator
(641) 683-5230 or (800) 726-2585, ext. 5230
Erin Clary, Career Counselor
(641) 683-5112 or (800) 726-2585, ext. 5112
Heather Morehouse, Career Counselor
(641) 683-5111, ext. 1714 or (800) 726-2585, ext. 1714