Earn Your High School Equivalency Diploma
The GED used to be your only option. Now there’s the HiSET Exam — and it’s your starting point for building the future you want. Continue your education or start your career. It truly is Life. Changing.
Probably. If you were unable to complete high school, the HiSET program is how you’ll earn your equivalency diploma. You don’t even have to be a resident of Iowa to earn your HiSET at Indian Hills!
You’re eligible to take the HiSET classes and exam if:
- You’re age 19 or older and not enrolled in high school; OR
- You’re age 17 or 18, out of school, and have parental permission.
If neither of these fit you, talk to the staff at IHCC to see if you fit one of the exceptions. They’ll help you determine what rules apply and what documentation you need.
The HiSET exam has five parts and is primarily multiple choice. The five separate tests that make up the HiSET exam are:
- Reading: Your ability to understand, comprehend, interpret, and analyze a variety of reading material (50 multiple choice questions)
- Writing: Your skill in recognizing and producing effective standard American written English (60 multiple choice questions and one essay question)
- Mathematics: Your ability to solve quantitative problems using fundamental concepts and reasoning skills (55 multiple choice questions)
- Science: Your ability to use science content knowledge, apply principles of scientific inquiry, and interpret and evaluate scientific information (60 multiple choice questions)
You can choose the testing format that works best for you:
- A computer-based exam at an IHCC testing center,
- A paper-based exam at an IHCC testing center, or
- An at-home computer exam monitored by a human proctor.
If you choose to take all five tests on one day, it will take about seven hours. You can also complete each test on different dates and times that work with your schedule.
Yes! Iowa requires that you take a half-length practice test before you schedule your
official HiSET exam. Your IHCC instructor will help you make all the arrangements.
You’ll find all kinds of free study guide resources online:
Yes. In Iowa, the HiSET exam fee for all five subtests is $53.75, which includes two retests per test during a 12-month period from the initial date of purchase.
If you only need to take an individual subtest, the cost is $10.75 for each test. Each individual test purchased includes up to two retest attempts if taken within 12 months of the date of purchase.
A “no call no show” for testing takes away one of the free attempts.
Take IHCC’s HiSET Prep Courses In …
- Monday and Thursday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday and Wednesday 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
Community Education Center
15260 Truman Street, Suite 2 (Iowa Workforce Development Building)
- Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Your Future Starts Here!
Questions or concerns? Ask Jonathan!
Jonathan Klaus, Directory, Adult Literacy
Indian Hills Community College