Mark your calendars! G.E.M.S. (Girls Exploring Math & Science) Camp is coming up with two sessions, the first: July 15-16, 2021 and the second: July 22-23, 2021! Register your Camper Below!!
Explore science, technology, math, and engineering, while having fun on a college campus! Girls will have the opportunity to explore college programming through a variety of hands-on activities.
They meet with professional women working in the science, technology, engineering, and math fields, as well as create, explore, and discover through S.T.E.M. (Science Technology Engineering Math) projects!
While some progress has been made, girls continue to be significantly under-represented
in STEM career fields. Although girls have proven to be above average in Math and
Science on many standardized tests, they continue to choose careers and majors that
are not in STEM fields. G.E.M.S. is designed to motivate females to use their skills
and cultivate their interest in these areas.
2021 G.E.M.S. Camp Details
Popularity of the 2021 G.E.M.S. Camp has soared to new heights and we are now offering
the Camp at two different dates. The G.E.M.S. Camp is open to: Female students finishing
the 3rd, 4th, or 5th grades.
Location: Advanced Technology Center, IHCC, Main Campus (Ottumwa)
- Let the girls take the lead
- Do the STEM activities; don’t just talk about them
- All girls have the potential to be interested in STEM—this not just for girls identified as gifted
- Experience-repeat-experience success in a non-risky environment
- All girls can have fun and learn
- “You can’t break it.” This is especially important in technology
- Dream big—there is nothing you cannot try
- Get messy and stop the ick factor
- Draw out the quiet girl who holds back
The 2021 G.E.M.S. Camp was sponsored by:
Questions? Cammie's got the answers!
Cammie Richards, Director, High School Programs
Indian Hills Community College
525 Grandview Avenue Ottumwa, Iowa 52501
Phone: (641) 683-5277 or (800) 726-2585, ext. 5277