Indian Hills alumnus Tom Arnold awards two scholarships to Indian Hills students each year. The scholarships award tuition, fees, required books, and required supply costs for one year (three terms). In addition, if the winners are students residing in the dormitories, an average of room and board costs will be included as part of the scholarship award.
To be eligible for the scholarships, you must compose a brief written piece (500-1,000 words) on this year's subject theme. An Indian Hills faculty committee will screen initial entries and Tom Arnold will choose the final selections himself.
To enter the scholarship, you must compose a brief written piece (500-1,000 words) following a subject theme set by Tom Arnold below.
***Entry Deadline will be May 31, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.***
2018-19 School Year's Theme:
"Tell me a story about a time when you helped a stranger in need, why you did it, how it made you feel & what you learned from the experience that might affect the rest of your life."
- You should avoid the obscene and exaggerated use of profanities.
- The entry must be typed and double-spaced. You will have a cover letter with your
name, address, phone number, and email address. The next page will begin your essay
and will have a 2 ½” top margin with 1” left, right, and bottom margins. The rest
of the essay pages will have 1” margins (top & bottom, left and right sided).
- Number all ESSAY pages in the upper right hand corner (not the cover letter). Underneath the page
number, type your full initials. DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ANYWHERE ON THE PAGE(S). Paperclip the pages of your entry. Do not staple or enclose your story in any cover or folder.
- Mail or submit your entry to the Scholarship Coordinator, Indian Hills Community College
Foundation, 525 Grandview Avenue, Ottumwa, IA 52501. In order to ensure anonymity,
your paper will be assigned a number before it is submitted to the screening committee.
- The screening committee will eliminate any applications with distracting grammatical,
mechanical (spelling and punctuation), and typographical errors from further consideration.
Therefore, it is advisable for all applicants to proofread their papers.
- The screening committee members will disqualify themselves from judging any entry
they have previously seen or proofread.
- The deadline for submitting all scholarship entries is 4:30 p.m. May 31, 2018. This is not a postmark date; your application is required to be in the office of the scholarship
coordinator on this date. Absolutely no applications will be accepted after this deadline for any reason.
- The two scholarship winners will be contacted by the Indian Hills Foundation Scholarship
Coordinator in August with details of their awards.
- Students will retain all rights to their scholarship entries.
- Multiple entries are allowed; however, only one application for each student can be sent to Tom Arnold.
If you have any questions or concerns about the Tom Arnold Scholarship, please contact
Becky Henderson in the Indian Hills Community College Foundation Office.
Becky Henderson, Scholarship Coordinator & Assistant, Foundation/Development Office
Indian Hills Community College
Phone: (641) 683-5156 or (800) 726-2585, ext. 5156