Veteran Checklist

  1.  Apply for Admission to Indian Hills Community College. Any questions and/or to set up a campus visit, please contact our Admissions Office at (800) 726-2585 Ext. 5153.

  2. Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form.

    If you have questions, please contact Indian Hills Tuition & Financial Aid office:  

    Ottumwa Campus (800) 726-2585 or Centerville Campus (800) 670-3641.

    The Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) can assist you in completing your FAFSA located in the Ottumwa Arts & Science Building, Room 113.  Contact them by calling (641)683-5315 or e-mail

  3. Arrange to have following transcripts sent to:

    Office of the Registrar
    Indian Hills Community College
    525 Grandview Avenue
    Ottumwa, IA 52501

    High School
    Any Prior College/University
    Military Credit Transcripts

    Joint Service Transcript (JST) - ARMY, NAVY, MARINES, COAST GUARD and NATIONAL GUARD
    Only Air Force – request transcript through the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)

  4. Apply to the Department of Veterans Affairs for your GI Bill by completing the Veterans On-Line Application VONAPP form 22-1990. This can be found under Create a USERNAME and PASSWORD.  Submit application and a CONFIRMATION NUMBER will be assigned.  Remember to keep the USERNAME, PASSWORD and CONFIRMATION NUMBER for future reference.  A Certificate of Eligibility will be mailed to you several weeks after you submit your application.

  5. If you have used your GI Bill at another college then complete the “Request for Change of Program or Place of Training” Form 22-1995 by logging into your VONAPP . This can be found under List Indian Hills Community College as your attending institution.  An updated Certificate of Eligibility will be mailed to you.

  6. Register with eBenefits if you have not done so already. Here you will be able to track your payments received, make changes to your account, set up direct deposit and monitor your educational benefits.

  7. Bring the following documents to the Indian Hills Veterans Administration/Enrollment Services Advisor:
            a. Copy of DD214
            b. Certificate of Eligibility

  8. Any questions regarding your VA educational benefits should be directed to the Department of Veterans Affairs by calling the VA’s Inquiry Line (888) 442-4551.