Position listed on July 11, 2018
Pre-College TRIO Programs
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required in education, psychology, sociology, human services, or closely related field.
- Minimum of one year teaching, advising and/or counseling experience with high school or college age students.
- Computer proficiency (hardware and software). Excellent communication skills, strong supervisory skills, ability to organize and coordinate diverse projects. Excellent rapport with target audience.
Under the supervision of the Director of Pre-College TRIO Programs, the Academic/Outreach Advisor is responsible for overall coordination and direct provision of services to UB participants at Centerville High School and providing EOC Outreach to youth and adults in the Centerville community.
- Assist with recruitment of UB participants.
- Plan, implement, and facilitate activities that support the UB and EOC project objectives and meet the needs of participants.
- Assist UB and EOC participants with college and financial aid applications.
- Provide academic advice and assistance in course selection.
- Assist high school dropout UB participants by enabling them to re-enroll in high school or other high school completion programs.
- Assist UB and EOC participants with personal, career, and academic advising so they can make informed choices regarding college programs and careers and improve academic achievement.
- Assist UB participants in preparing for college entrance examinations.
- Conduct outreach to the Centerville community about the college process.
- Make referrals as appropriate to all college and/or university offices that can assist with enrollment or re-enrollment of participants.
- Hire and supervise the College Mentors during the 6-week UB summer program.
- Supervise all mini-course sessions facilitated by the College Mentors and evening activities during the 6-week summer program.
- Develop curriculum for academic courses taught in 6-week summer program. Work with summer academic course instructors to develop content for summer program, ensuring that the courses taught follow core competencies required at the target high schools.
- Develop curriculum and teach a class during the 6-week summer program (College Readiness, Career Awareness, Diversity, Study Skills or something similar)
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Director, Pre-College TRIO Programs
Professional, Exempt, Special Funding, at will employment on letter of employment
Yearly Employment Length:
4 term, full time
191 days annually – special schedule – may include some evenings and weekends
UPB 20-3-9588-18-53000 75%
EOC 20-3-9586-18-53000 25%
Starting Salary Range:
Application materials must be received in the IHCC Human Resources Office no later than 4:45 p.m. July 25, 2018.
Non-Discrimination Policy: It is the policy of Indian Hills Community College not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age (employment), sexual orientation, gender identity, creed, religion, and actual or potential parental, family, or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Iowa Code §§216.6 and 216.9, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. §§ 2000d and 2000e), the Equal Pay Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. § 206, et seq.), Title IX (Educational Amendments, 20 U.S.C §§ 1681 – 1688), Section 504 (Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. § 794), and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. § 12101, et seq.).
If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with this policy, please contact Kristen Parks, Director, Human Resources/Equity Coordinator (staff), 525 Grandview Ave, Ottumwa, IA 52501, (641) 683-5108, email@example.com; Brett Monaghan, Dean, Student Affairs (students), (641) 683-5159, firstname.lastname@example.org; Noel Gorden, Dean, Learning Services (students with disabilities), (641) 683-5174, email@example.com; U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number (312) 730-1560, fax (312) 730- 1576.