Position listed on May 15, 2018
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Dental Hygienist or Dentist who is a graduate of a program accredited by the Commission of Dental Accreditation.
- Must have a current Dental Hygiene or Dental Licensure in the State of Iowa, or ability to obtain State of Iowa Licensure.
- Local anesthesia licensing and nitrous oxide training required.
- Bachelor’s degree required in related field.
- Minimum three years full time clinical experience as a Dental Hygienist or Dentist.
- Must relate well with people and display a high degree of competency within the dental field.
- Possess a high degree of written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with instruction in educational methodology including curriculum development, educational psychology, test construction, instructional methods, measurement and evaluation preferred.
Under the supervision of the Program Director, Dental Hygiene, this person will instruct Dental Hygiene courses as assigned and establish a classroom environment which is conducive to the advancement of student learning. This person will also serve as Clinical Coordinator: monitoring students’ performance at the IHCC Dental clinic, and establishing rapport with students, peers and the community.
- Teach courses in accordance with objectives of the course outline as set forth by the division using a variety of instructional methods and technologies that facilitates learning for all students.
- Organize and present various concepts to a wide range of students with varying backgrounds and abilities, and adjust teaching techniques accordingly.
- Function within the framework of the philosophy and objectives of IHCC and the Health Sciences Division.
- Work in close cooperation with other Health Sciences faculty and staff.
- Coordinate clinical experiences and monitor students’ performance in the IHCC dental clinic and at clinical enrichment sites.
- Develop and maintain current course syllabi/outlines for assigned courses.
- Use sound principles of grading which are related to the achievement of specific measurable objectives.
- Use an effective combination of support media to enhance and increase student acquisition of skills and knowledge. Uses technology congruent with the dental hygiene program teaching methods and goals.
- Assist with Dental Hygiene student organizations.
- Serve as a resource person for students and graduates in regard to job opportunities and assist in job placement.
- Assist in planning and carrying out studies, surveys and dental hygiene program accreditation.
- Maintain cooperative relationships with professional personnel, local organizations, public officials and other interested people.
- Assist in maintaining public relations with the local community and take part in community relations.
- Actively participate in program promotion and recruitment of students, provide academic advising as needed, and assist in the placement and follow up of graduates.
- Represent the College in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community.
- Meet all assigned classes and office commitments as scheduled.
- Attend and participate in all scheduled faculty meetings.
- Emphasize to students the importance of prompt and regular class attendance.
- Measure and evaluate student progress and maintain accurate grade computations. Prepare and submit accurate grade reports as requested.
- Submit to appropriate resources reports on all students who may be in need of counsel.
- Serve actively on any committee to which appointed.
- Keep accurate inventories of equipment and supplies and submit requisitions for needed materials.
- Promptly report repairs needed for the classroom, clinic and equipment.
- Stay up to date with trends in the field and update program curriculum and equipment as appropriate.
- Assist in the program evaluation procedure.
- Meet the standards of the college’s Quality Faculty Plan.
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance at work.
- Instill a realistic work attitude in students.
- Attend and participate in advisory committee meetings.
- Maintain professional appearance of office, dental clinic and laboratory areas.
- Other duties as assigned.
Program Director, Dental Hygiene
Certified, Exempt, Traditional Funding, Chapter 279 Contract of Employment
August 1, 2018
Yearly Employment Length:
4 term, full time
9 hrs/day, Monday thru Thursday
Starting Salary Range:
Non-Discrimination Policy: It is the policy of Indian Hills Community College not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age (employment), sexual orientation, gender identity, creed, religion, and actual or potential parental, family, or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Iowa Code §§216.6 and 216.9, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. §§ 2000d and 2000e), the Equal Pay Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. § 206, et seq.), Title IX (Educational Amendments, 20 U.S.C §§ 1681 – 1688), Section 504 (Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. § 794), and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. § 12101, et seq.).
If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with this policy, please contact Kristen Parks, Director of Human Resources/Equity Coordinator, 525 Grandview Ave, Ottumwa, IA 52501, 683-5108.