If you’re a high school student in the Indian Hills Community College area, we can put you in touch with area businesses and industry to help you learn more about what local career you may be interested in pursuing.
Job Shadow Overview
High school students (grades 10-12) have the opportunity to take an excused absence from school to shadow an area business leader for 2-6 hours. “Get Connected” will inform your school attendance office of time and place. You provide your own transportation.
Is a job shadow right for you?
- Are you interested in several careers and unsure of what to pursue?
- Do you want the opportunity to connect with local professionals to explore you career interests?
- Are you unsure of what you can do now to prepare for your future career?
- Do you want the opportunity to learn how current schooling relates to your possible career?
Job Shadow Steps
Before the Job Shadow
- Find your area of interest.
- Complete the Student Job Shadow Agreement Have your parent/guardian sign and return it to your school contact (usually the guidance office).
- Likewise, complete and submit the Student Information for Job Shadow Employers
- Confirm transportation arrangements.
- Call the day before the job shadow to confirm (or cancel, if necessary).
- Study the website of the cooperating business, if available.
The Day of the Job Shadow
Bring the following items with you:
- Student Questions to Ask the Employer
- Job Shadow Verification Form
- A notebook and a pen with which to write
- Dress appropriately.
- Arrive on time, preferably 10-15 minutes early.
- Introduce yourself. A firm handshake and direct eye-contact are important.
- Conduct yourself in a professional manner. Remember, you are an ambassador for your school.
- Ensure the Job Shadow Verification Form is signed by the employer.
- Thank your workplace host, and shake hands.
After the Job Shadow
- Complete and submit the Job Shadow Student Evaluation Form to your school contact.
- Within one week, write a thank you letter, and submit it to your school contact.
- Complete all other required assignments.
Nathan Miller, Work-Based Learning Specialist
Indian Hills Community College
525 Grandview Avenue Ottumwa, Iowa 52501
Phone: (641) 683-5309 or (800) 726-2585, ext. 5309